Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Red, White and Blue WISP Completed


This WISP took longer than expected, considering I started cutting the fat quarters the day I bought the fabric, back in November 2009!  It is the Lucky Stars pattern again and most of the fabric is from a Civil War line (don't remember which one).  I completed the blocks in July 2010, but didn't square them until this July!  But now it is pieced, quilted and bound! This was originally meant as a QOV, but then it was suggested that I present this quilt to my DH upon his retirement from the Army, as he is a civil war buff.  I'll have to think on that since he just received a quilt I made a couple of months ago.  He should not retire for a few years yet, so I may have to think on this a while.  (but not too long!) I used two 2 1/2" strips from the small bit of fat quarter from most fabrics to make up the binding, and I love how that turned out.  I think a mixed binding really works on these quilts since the quilt is so scrappy to begin with.
I used the scraps from the half square triangles to piece together a label.  I would have liked to have made two more stars for the back, but I was out of the background fabric. I couldn't find any more anywhere in my stash and I really didn't want another excuse to delay, so I only made the label.  It looks so lonely!
I am very happy with how the quilting turned out!  It actually went quickly too, considering all the interruptions to ferry kids here and there, feeding said children (repeatedly, continuously)etc.
 Working on a fun little project just for me . . .  Hope I can show it soon!   Happy Quilting!

No comments:

Post a Comment