Thursday, August 2, 2012

Technical and Tactical Difficulties . . .

have kept me from accomplishing very much this month in the sewing/quilting area.  Due to frustrating difficulties with my computer I was unable to post about the little bit that I actually got done! At the moment, I am writing this blog on my regular computer, but it was shutting down sporadically until I figured out I can't watch any videos or clips on line,  a software problem of some kind.  I'm going to have to try & figure it out before the entire thing breaks I suppose, but when?  I don't think I have ever driven so much, albeit broken up in small trips, any other summer of my life!  Between the kids sports activities, wisdom teeth extractions, orthodontic appointments, sports, friends, my own physical therapy appts, other medical appointments I haven't been able to finish very much.  I'm still longarming for others, but I'm a bit behind in that too.  I still haven't scheduled the kitties for their shots (overdue now)and have everyone's eye appointments to work out before our trip back to Massachusetts for my Gram's 100th birthday party!! I did not finish a WISP this month and have so much I want to start!! Sigh. On the
bright side, I am happy with the two major finishes, as the idea just came to me while ironing, and I immediately sketched out what I had "seen" in my minds eye and wrote out the basic idea/directions.  As I worked on the project I added the fishnet as a means to hang it up and I am very satified with the way it turned out.  The small one was made first, to test the materials and see if my idea would work.  It is my 1 XMas project for July, it is a gift for my sister who has a beach/seashell sunroom in her house.  The J was meant to be a surprise birthday gift for my dear daughter who turned 13 on the 23rd!  I couldn't find my hubby's staple gun in time, so I finished it up over the weekend after DH dug it out of his garage.  I used a regular stapler and spray glue for my sister's gift.  I sewed a border around the middle panel, sprayed a painter's canvas with Aleenes acid free tacky spray, let it sit, then pressed the fabric wrong side down with my hands.  I glued and stapled the fabric to the back.  I recommend you add the netting before you start to decorate with the shells.  I glued the shells on with a permanent adhesive called Quick Grip.  I had to take this photo on my knees as to avoid a shadow, it is hanging on my DD's door and our hallway is very narrow.  I used twine to tie the fishnet together, and also create a hanging loop.  The loop is much larger on the J.  Here's hoping August is more productive, but I seriously doubt it!  Don't tell the kids, but I can't WAIT for school to start!   Happy Quilting!

No comments:

Post a Comment