Wednesday, October 24, 2012
Spooky, How Time Flies !
This project came about because the idea for the main component, the ghost, came to me after I passed large bags of Tootsie Pops at the grocery store. It was crazy, I walked by them and then suddenly I thought - wow you could wrap those in gauze strips, draw a face on them with permanent marker, and then for Halloween you could spray paint a pumpkin black, make up a bunch of these and stick them in the pumpkin and put it on your porch on Halloween night! So. I turned around and grabbed two bags. Once I got home and put away the groceries, I tested out the idea as far as making the ghost, and yes, it took only a couple of minutes! One of the (many) things I dislike about the heat and humidity in Virginia is that our pumpkins don't last very long at all. I would have loved to have tried the pumpkin idea, but I had the idea at the end of September and there is no way pumpkin with holes would last a month.
So I wanted a way to present the ghosts, and I also thought of buying one of those smaller, craft size bales of hay, but they are messy and my cats would chew on them. I walked around Michael's for inspiration and it finally came to me. I had everything at home except the clay pots.
To make the project you must first make the ghosts. Place a strip of gauze on top of a lollipop, insuring you are even on both sides and grasp the neck. Turn the lollipop and place another strip in the same manner, but now you are covering up a different section of the lollipop. Continue until the lollipop is as covered as much you like, and that you have a nice amount of "tails" I clipped the ends in a V or tried to make them look ragged. I wrapped a small piece of gauze around the neck and tied it. That's it for the ghost! Whoops, I just noticed that I don't have a photo of the Styrofoam cone! That's because it was being painted black. My dd painted the pot using the foam brush, once it
dried I cut florist foam to fit the pot and put the Spanish moss around the gaps. I attached the painted black cone to the florist foam with wooden grilling skewers cut in half, I pushed the cut ends into the center of the florist foam and then stuck the cone on top of them, I used four of them. I was going to stick the ghosts into the black foam, but changed my mind and put only one on top and set the rest around the pot. This is now in the front entrance of my house. Happy Quilting and Crafting!!!