Friday, December 20, 2013

Wrapping it up for Christmas

I am winding down and wrapping up all the preparations for the holidays.  Finally finished decorating the tree, finally finished the Christmas cookies and finally finished decorating.  Better late than never!  I also managed to finish these two bags for two of my favorite customers!  The blue bag is 32" wide and 22 tall, plenty of room to put a very large (folded) quilt! 
The second bag is for a new customer who loves brights, it is only a bit smaller, 29 " wide, 21" tall, still very roomy.  I was in a bit of a hurry this morning to get to bee and give the ladies their bags, so I didn't take a picture of the interior, they each have a coordinated pocket inside.
I tried several new things this year, which certainly delayed the decorating process.  I have collected vintage ornaments from garage sales, flea markets etc., for over 20 years.  I have pinned (pinterest) many tutorials on how to make wreathes from the ornaments, but it just seems so permanent I just can't actually make one.  Instead, this year I have accepted that they will never be in a wreath and started to think about alternate uses, here are three of my favorites using items that I already had.
 I bought the swan at an old antique store (Rainvilles) about 7 summers ago, I have done various things with it, but this is my favorite!  (so far)
I just started to change this candle holder seasonally this summer, so I don't have all the candles to go with the decor yet.  I sent my DH and DD out to get them and DD came home with these.  LOVED them.  Well, until we took the plastic cover off.  Tahitian Vanilla is overwhelming!  My solution was to take out my beloved Mod Podge, yes, I did!  DISCLAIMER:  Do not use Mod Podge on candles that you intend on lighting some day.  DON'T DO IT!  FLAMMABLE!!  I never light my candles, so this was the perfect solution for me.  I brushed Mod Podge all over it and sprinkled glitter over it.  It only took two coats and the smell was completely gone.  No color is off limits for me now!
Off to link up with Amanda at Crazy Mom Quilts for Finish it up Fridays, then back to the studio to long arm on some fabric for a last minute Christmas request.  Happy Quilting!!

2 comments:

  1. Love the bulb displays, I too love the mercury glass style ornaments, the candle one is my fave. Did you light them? I bet it would be pretty flickering of of the ornaments.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, I didn't. I guess my posts tend to run too long to read the whole thing, but . . . the candles were too perfumey so I sealed them with mod podge which eliminated the smell completely. Terribly flammable though !

    ReplyDelete